Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
LIHEAP helps low-income households with their energy bills.
- Pays up to $650 of your home energy costs. This includes electric, gas, propane, coal, oil, kerosene, or wood.
- Your utility account must have been active for longer than 28 days.
- Assistance may be received only once per year between October 1 and September 30.
- Applications are reviewed starting October 1 and are accepted anytime after until funding runs out.
- If you are approved, LIHEAP will send a payment directly to your utility company or fuel provider.
Eligibility is based on your household size, income, and fuel type.
You can be eligible even if:
- You do not have a past due energy bill.
- You are not on public assistance.
- You rent or own your home.
After you apply
You will receive a letter in the mail within 4-6 weeks. The letter will say if your application was approved, denied, or is still pending.