SPROUTS - Streets as Places: Re-imagining the Outdoors
TEMPORARY LOADING ZONES
The Chattanooga Department of Transportation and the Chattanooga Parking Authority have worked together to convert on-street parking spaces near restaurants to temporary loading zones to facilitate curbside meal pickup and delivery. Even after restaurants have been allowed to re-open by Governor Lee's Executive Order 29, the practice of no-contact curbside restaurant or retail pick-up continues to be a safe and responsible way for citizens to interact with retail and restaurant businesses.
On March 23rd, 2020, the Chattanooga Parking Authority and CDOT converted on-street parking spaces near restaurants to temporary loading zones to facilitate curbside meal pickup and delivery. A map of the original curbside takeout parking zones can be found here.
Restaurants and other businesses that continue to rely on delivery or curbside pick-up, both within the original zone and outside of it, can now request a loading zone near their establishment by completing the SPROUTS Restaurant & Retail Recovery Application. Each location will have unique conditions that will be assessed carefully by the CDOT staff to develop the most appropriate solution.
Contactless Guidance for Curbside Pick-Up:
- Customers should order online or by phone if possible
- Have customers prepay online or over the phone
- Establish a process to minimize the time required to complete the curbside transaction
- Schedule pick-up times
- Have customers notify you when they arrive by phone or text
- Load the product into the car if possible – ask the customer to remain in the vehicle to limit contact
- Ensure employees sanitize hands and surfaces after each interaction
- Advise customers not to use their own containers, reusable bags or boxes
Resources for Restaurants
- Reopening restaurants safely webinar (hosted by Chattanooga Tourism Co.)
- FDA Best Practices for Retail Food
- FDA Best Practices Infographic
- National Restaurant Association COVID-19 Reopening Guidance
- TN Pledge Restaurant Guidelines
Resources for Retail